Monday, February 20, 2012

Burlap Banner by Taylor

Our bedroom has needed a little pick-me-up for a while now, but it seems that the upstairs of our house has been the last to get decorated.  I decided to make a burlap banner for above our bed to make our space a little more cozy and cute.  
I started by buying several yards of burlap fabric (I could have gotten away with 1/3 of a yard since I was only writing a five letter word, but I wanted more for other projects).  I also bought green fabric paint, some letter stencils and some round sponge brushes. 
Then, I made myself a triangular template out of printer paper.  I cut it out and laid it on my burlap fabric to cut out each triangle. NOTE:  I should have reflected this in my template, but I didn't- whoops!  I made sure to cut out a flap at the top of the triangle so I could fold it over and sew ribbon through it (see pics of cut-out triangles below).
 
Once the triangles were cut out, I painted the letters on with stencils.
 
Then, I took some ivory ribbon and sewed it to each triangle by laying it underneath the flap.  Be sure to use a stitch that reinforces, like a zigzag.  When you are finished, you may want to but some anti-fraying solution on the edges of your triangles if you are using a fabric like burlap that unravels easily.
 
Finally, I hung the banner above our bed.  I love how it drapes across the old window!  
Why did I choose the word "Faith"?  Because it reminds us as we wake up and as we go to bed that faith is the single most important thing in our lives.  :)







1 comment:

  1. Love it Tay! So cute! I do have a lot of burlap in my craft room, may have to try something like this!

    ReplyDelete