Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Lighten Up Your Lighting by Taylor

Hi everyone!  I hope you've had a great weekend! We really appreciate all the support that you've been giving us- we've had lots of positive feedback and we love hearing about what you are doing to "shabby chic" your own homes.   If you've done something you are proud of, please let us know- we would love to feature it on our blog one day!  And don't forget to follow us (if you don't have a google or gmail account it is SUPER quick and easy to sign up and follow our blog- you won't regret it:))
  
I wanted to share with you an easy way to update the lighting in your home.  As many of you know, good lighting can help your room go from cold and dark to warm and inviting.  You don't have to pay hundreds of dollars for lamps either.  I found this lamp at Goodwill for around $10.00.  It was a newer lamp, so I knew it was a good price.
The shape of the base of the lamp looked like it had good potential and I could already picture what it would look like if I painted it ivory!  At home, I took the shade off and spray painted the base.  I then took my sandpaper and sanded the paint off of some areas to create a scruffed up shabby chic look (of course!).  
I didn't really like the old burgundy lampshade, so I swapped it for a floral lampshade from a lamp I had bought at Marshalls.  By the way, most home stores sell shades (I like Marshalls and TJ Maxx's Homegoods stores and Target).  I even ended up selling the old shade for 5 dollars at our yard sale, so I got half my money back!  This is the finished product:
 I hope you like it!  I'm gearing up for a new school year, so I'm sure I'll be grading lots of papers by the light of this lamp!

1 comment:

  1. I especially love that you saw potential in the shape of the lamp! There are lot of awsome shapes out there with hideous finishes, but if you can visualize it painted....it opens a whole new world! Great Job!

    ReplyDelete