Monday, August 1, 2011

Ruffle Chic by Hilary

The motivation for this idea came from the latest issue of Romantic Homes magazine. 
In my two bedroom townhouse my guest room doubles as my craft room and office. I had a beautiful floral bedspread but once my pictures were up and books on my bookshelf the room immediately became too busy.

On a trip to the goodwill with my mom, I found a beautiful quilt. Yes it was floral, but the inside was ivory with a cute decorative stitch. I decided to clean this up and use the solid and make my own shams.

I also bought two cream shams that were king size. I made a cross stitch down one side of the sham to fit a standard pillow and snipped the ends off.


I wanted a ruffled effect and decided to use my new ruffler foot ( around $10.00 and readers if you are like me and love ruffles and pleats it's well worth the investment ).  I also had a few left over scrap pieces of fabric from my curtain scarfs I decided to use.


First I cut strips around five feet long and about three inches wide and ruffled the fabric.


Then I hot glued (yes this is lazy but super fast and because it is just on the shams I felt it would work because they are usually just for decoration) six strips on each pillow starting at the top.


This is the finished product!! I am happy with the result because the solid bed spread gave the room a bigger look since it is used for many different things! It's hard living in small spaces!!!!



Also another decorative ruffled pillow I made just for fun!! The ruffler foot can be addictive :/





Hope you guys enjoy!!!! Please comment if you have any ideas to put ruffles on :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment